Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Why I hate the New Pulsar 180


Firstly, that is the only picture of the bike that I could find. Secondly, I know my blog does not normally opine on topics as lowly as this, but then sometimes it likes to bend over.

The changes, which may or may not be visible in the image, include a "sleeker" petrol tank, a more "curvy" headlamp, and tail lights that remind one of Captain Spock's ears, which in one word would be "pointy". And some other graphic nuisances.

Plainly put the Pulsar has gone from being "Definitely Male" to "Oh look at me I'm so fucking metrosexual". The brand for me has been destroyed. Its over.

And to add chilli powder to injury, the advertising campaign shows a bunch of kids sneaking into the showroom to take a peek. I'd like to ask brand positioning people over at Bajaj, Why? Where is the male? Show me the male!!

You may think I'm overreacting and I believe I strongly agree, but why I so despise of this new hideous creation is that at some time I really wanted this bike. Not because it was definitely male. Because it looked away from the then sleek-curvy look (Its competitors then were Suzuki's Fiero and Hero Honda's CBZ). It has a stud round headlight that had no plastic thingy on top of it. Even the first variant was ok, it had an evilish look to it. But now? Now it looks like a byproduct of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

The reason behing my great disappointment is also that I love the engine. It is, basically, awesome. It sounds like a dream. It rides like a hot knife through butter. Everything's great from the gear shift and ratio to the brakes, everything. Then they had to dress it up in the emperor's bloody new clothes.

Go jump off a cliff Bajaj, and make sure the rocks below are like your tail lamps, really really pointy.

2 comments :

  1. The Mudd said...

    DAIII......!!! Mind the language....

  2. Abhishek Madan said...

    I am the apologisational letter.