Sunday, December 20, 2009

Can't Touch This

Spoiler: This blog entry does not rhyme.

I recently saw a trailer for a Bollywood movie called Pyaar Impossible. It has a generic beauty falls for the geek plot. I'm as interested in the movie as Berlusconi is in keeping a clean image. What caught my eye was the portrayal of the geek.

Now before I start cussing and ranting, you need to know that this story seems to be set in the US.
Ok, now to get things off my chest.

What is wrong with Indian geeks? Aren't we just as inadequate? Aren't we socially inept, sexually inactive, hormonally deprived, visually challenged, romantically maimed and uncool enough?

Because what ticked me off is that the protagonist in the Bollywood movie is the common American teen movie geek. He wears braces, own light sabers, quotes Darth Vader, reads comic books, can't get laid and shows all the symptoms of Asperger's. He isn't white, he's brown, just like his muse, the movie's target audience and the entire crew.

I can take all the American decadent filth these Bollywood nitwits throw at me, but this time they've touched something far, far more sacred than the billions of Gods we have in India. They've crossed the line. And I take great offence.

You don't touch the geek. We go watch your movies. We blog about them. We re-tweet reviews. We buy poster of Uday Cho...oh wait no one buys posters of Uday Chopra. And you find some no brain, gora cloned, teen movie stolen POS to take our place.

They obviously believe that the Indian geek isn't worth the on-screen attention. He has pubescent facial hair and smells of Lifebuoy. He wears Bata leather sandals and checked shirts from Erode. He wakes up early and takes a bus to IIT class. If he's lucky he gets a scooter. He mentally adds the digits on every vehicle's number plate because its fun. He graduates to head million dollar firms or start his own little revolution. He quits his job in a mid life crisis to teach poor children. He grows old to be opinionated, proud, even arrogant.

He is you, he is me, but he fails to capture the imagination of our film-makers.

I understand the movie isn't half as profound as a psychopath serial killer with schizophasia, but you pea brained directors need to understand that America has her stereotypes. We have ours. Dattani exploits the riots and communal tensions in his plays. He doesn't create them, he sees them. You don't need to force feed the junta with borrowed stereotypes. Look around.

And don't you ever, ever even touch the geeks. There will be blood.

Because one day, we will inherit the Earth.

10 comments :

  1. blank_confusion said...

    I likes :)
    and as I said, I am the geek, and you're the greek :P

  2. suren said...

    Ah ! Now they did cross the line , didn't they :|

  3. shrooty said...

    came across your blog randomly.

    a passing thought. i watched the trailer as well and my initial reaction is why in Bollywood is the female supposed to be super hot, but the guy is allowed to be average? (Maybe that is just South Indian films) When will the movie come out where the girl is geeky/average and the guy is awesome? The first example I thought of was Kajol in KKHH, but she only gets SRK after she turns hot.

    Just saying :)

  4. Suhas said...

    ... "And don't you ever, ever even touch the geeks. There will be blood.
    Because one day, we will inherit the Earth."

    This is cool. I didn't know that you can be considered as a geek. The coolest guy i've ever met is a geek. Wow!

  5. Abhishek Madan said...

    @Shrooty: I'm guessing because our society is yet to accept two things:

    1. Guys can be super hot as well. You know, not in the mysterious intellectual way but the super metro-sexy way.

    2. That female sexuality is alive and kicking.

    Thanks for reading. Visit again! We promote internet tourism :D.

    @Suhas:
    Wasaaaaaaaaaaaap! :D My definition of geek is slightly mathematical. If the (time spent on wiki)/ (time on earth) x 100 is > 2 then geek. Oh wait the fact that I have a formula for this proves I'm a geek. I love recursion! :D

  6. blank_confusion said...

    @abhi: I'll come up with a statistical proof that you're not a geek...:D :P

  7. Krishna Chandran said...

    hey madan... wassaa? btw you forgot to mention that priyanka chopra is a rock star... and your geek is her drummer...
    and yes, we will inherit the earth...

  8. Abhishek Madan said...

    What?? Since when?

  9. Kolor said...

    All this attention being showered on the geek is somehow making him seem cool.
    Not True.

  10. Kartik said...

    @madan...

    very well written... but I remember one muvi with the "Indian" geek..

    "rab ne bana di jodi" :)